One of the reasons I do what I do....











Ok, I was flipping through one of my favorites and saw a recipe for Springerlie. I've seen this recipe before and know it's a cookie that comes from Germany and is usually made around Christmas time but I was wondering about the lady that wrote this recipe book and when I was reading this paticular recipe all of a sudden at the bottom read; "This recipe has been in our family for 50 years and came from Germany." Now mind you this was written in the early 40's. I'm not even joking when I say I got the chills. I feel like a great part of collecting these treasures is to save these family heirlooms for future generations. It's kinda our responsibility, anybody else feel the same?

4 comments:

onesnevertooold said...

Wow! That's just something to behold. I love hearing stories like this as is truly amazing to come across something like that handwritten. I've some postcards from the early 1900's to teens that reflect correspondence between two families, one living in CA the other in Iowa and it's amazing to pull them out occasionally just to read, truly amazing. Love your blog!!

All The Best,

Dave

Christie Cottage said...

What a treasure you have found!


http://christiecottage.blogspot.com
<><

CookbookAddict said...

Aww Thanks guys:) It's so nice to have other people think what your doing is cool. I always wondered if the person that sold it knew what her relative had written about her family. A part of me feels kinda bad..but at least it's not in the trash somewhere!

Stefanie said...

What a great find! You should try the recipe out.

Vintage Cookbooks are for everyone who has ever wanted to bake something special and turned to a modern cookbook and realized they never seem to have all the ingredients at the same time, there're for history lovers that want to feel connected to the past in a way that's missing in history books, there're for the people that love that musty old book smell and laugh at kindle's, they're for people that feel like we as a society have gone a little too far, a tad off course with life and want to get back to the simple and the real, and they're for the people that want to pay homage to all the grandma's and great aunts that did it best!

CookbookAddict on Flickr - View my recent photos on Flickriver

My Store